Hello friends, we've made it to November 2020. We can hardly believe it!
We've been having trouble sleeping lately and thought you might be too with all the things going on in the world (yes, we're talking about the elections). We wanted to share some of our favorite resources and practices that are getting us through these times as a reminder to slow down and take care of yourself. There is only one of you.
1. Meditate: our favorite meditation apps are the Calm app and the Inscape app (both of which have free versions available). We also love this 10-minute mindfulness meditation from Calm and this relaxing sound bath for sleep.
2. Diffuse some essentials oils and read a new book: our November 2020 book recommendation is The Story of More: How We Got to Climate Change and Where to Go from Here by Hope Jahren. If you're looking for a light read not related to the environment, check out Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection by Haemin Sunim.
3. Make something from scratch: DIY activities can provide some relief from our everyday routine of sitting in front of a screen. Bake, crochet, make candles, build a bookshelf—the possibilities are endless. If you're a pumpkin lover, check out this amazing vegan recipe for creamy pumpkin pie bars.
5. Spend some time in nature: Ecopsychology research shows us that spending time in the natural world can boost our health, reducing stress and promoting healing. Studies "point in one direction: nature is not only nice to have, but it's a have-to-have for physical health and cognitive function" (Yale Environment 360).
You certainly don't need to buy anything to take some time for yourself. Simply slowing down and acknowledging that you're taking a moment to rest and be present can be more than enough. Of course, if you're looking for a little something to help, you can check out our self care + relaxation collection here.
Our staff picks for the month include:
- Organic Herbal Bath Tea made with organic chamomile, rose, and calendula
- New Essential Oil Blends that smell divine (we especially love the Merry + Bright and Sweet Clementine scents)
- Drift Lavender Aromatherapy Eye Pillow